Article by Kevin Siegel
Before you can take full advantage of Captivate’s TTS feature, you will need to install the software and agents. The installers (there are now two that come with Captivate 5) are typically found in the Adobe Captivate 5 Content\Add-ons folder that is part of the Captivate 5 installation files. There is an installer for Neospeech (which adds the two legacy voices for Captivate 4, Paul and Kate); and an installer for Loquendo (which provides three new voices: Stefan, Juliette and Simon).
Once the text to speech software has been installed, converting text to speech is a snap.
- Go to a slide where you want to convert text to speech and open the Slide Notes panel (Window > Slide Notes).
- Click the Text-to-Speech Button.
- Select a Speech Agent from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Add Text-to-Speech button (the plus sign).
- Type some text.
- Click the Generate Audio button.And just as simple as that, your text has been converted to speech.
- Click the Close button.
- Preview the slide to hear the agent at work.
The Text-to-Speech audio can be edited like any other audio clip. In addition, you can change the voice from one agent to the next, and then back again simply by choosing Audio > Speech Management. Change the Speech Agent and click Generate Audio.