Article by Kevin Siegel
In the past, if you created an eLearning quiz and needed to track the results, your only option was to use a Learning Management System (LMS).
Adobe Captivate offers an alternate reporting option to using an LMS: you can create a free account on Acrobat.com, and set the reporting preferences in a Captivate project so that the quiz results are uploaded to Acrobat.com. After that, you can use the Adobe Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer, a free AIR-based desktop application, to track the learner results.
I’m not saying that Acrobat.com replaces an LMS, or that using an LMS is a bad idea. In truth, if your learning initiative is large and you have to train thousands of learners, an LMS offers you the best chance at success. A typical LMS can support hundreds to thousands of students and provides myriad high-end tracking and reporting features. Of course, you can expect to pay thousands of dollars for those features.
Let’s take a look at what Acrobat.com and the Quiz Results Analyzer offer–for free.
Configure Acrobat.com as an LMS and Upload Quiz Data
- Open or create a project that includes a quiz.
- Choose Quiz > Quiz Preferences.
- With the Quiz Reporting category selected, select Enable reporting for this project.
- From the Learning Management System (LMS) area, select Acrobat.com.
- Click the Configure button.The Configure Acrobat.com Settings dialog box opens.
- Type your Adobe ID and Password into the appropriate fields (you will need an Acrobat.com account to proceed).
- Fill in the Company/Institute, Department, and Course fields.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the OK button.
- Go to the Quiz Results slide in your project and you’ll notice that a Post Result button has automatically been added.
- Publish the project and view the results.
- Take the quiz and when you get to the results slide, click the Post Results button to post the results to Amazon.com.
Analyze the Quiz Results
- Start the Adobe Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer.As mentioned earlier, the Quiz Results Analyzer is a free AIR-based desktop application you use to track learner quiz results. The program should have been installed on your computer at the same time that Adobe Captivate was installed.
- Click the Sign in button and Sign in using your Acrobat.com credentials.
- Select the Organization, Department and Course you set up in step 7 above.
- And Bam! You’ll see the quiz results. How cool is that? Want something cooler? Click the Chart button in the upper right of the Quiz Results Analyzer and create a nifty bar chart of the quiz results. Bam, bam and bam!